Sunday, August 1, 2010

I need to stop

When Smokers Quit; What Are the Benefits Over Time?

20 minutes after quitting: Your heart rate drops.
(US Surgeon General's Report, 1988, pp. 39, 202)

12 hours after quitting: The carbon monoxide level in your blood drops to normal.
(US Surgeon General's Report, 1988, p. 202)

2 weeks to 3 months after quitting: Your circulation improves and your lung function increases.
(US Surgeon General's Report, 1990, pp.193,194,196,285,323)

1 to 9 months after quitting: Coughing and shortness of breath decrease; cilia (tiny hair like structures that move mucus out of the lungs) regain normal function in the lungs, increasing the ability to handle mucus, clean the lungs, and reduce the risk of infection.
(US Surgeon General's Report, 1990, pp. 285-287, 304)

1 year after quitting: The excess risk of coronary heart disease is half that of a smoker's.
(US Surgeon General's Report, 1990, p. vi)

5 years after quitting: Your stroke risk is reduced to that of a nonsmoker 5-15 years after quitting.
(US Surgeon General's Report, 1990, p. vi)

10 years after quitting: The lung cancer death rate is about half that of a continuing smoker's. The risk of cancer of the mouth, throat, esophagus, bladder, cervix, and pancreas decrease.
(US Surgeon General's Report, 1990, pp. vi, 131, 148, 152, 155, 164,166)

15 years after quitting: The risk of coronary heart disease is that of a nonsmoker's.
(US Surgeon General's Report, 1990, p. vi)

Visible and Immediate Rewards of Quitting: My family happier.
I know I need to quit these and my habit is only 2 packs a week. I was quit at one time for 3 years and then stress made me go back.
I whittled it down to 1 or 2 a day, then stress picked it up.
I started smoking to calm me (ADHD) and it works too well now I am older I want that energy back. I am at 150 pounds right now thanks to smoking, down from my bloated 165lbs (you have to remember, due to my metabolism I did not break the 100 pound mark until I was a senior in High School).
The nicotine isnt the thing that sucks me in either... it's the habit.
a place to go during work to get away.
a place to think
something to do when bored.
Well I am going to give it a go.
I have not set "the date" yet but it is drawing near.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thrill me...dripsome brain droppings here.